Samstag, 22. Dezember 2007

Navigating the Christmas Season

This week in the mail both my host family and I received two separate letters from the AFS Wien office. Both contained a specially written Christmas letter and a bar of Zotter organic fair-trade Austrian chocolate (they're all super proud of it). My letter told me to enjoy being Austrian for the only chance I would probably ever have around the holiday season and not to think on home too much. The letter for my parents told them not to freak out if I got homesick on Christmas and gave them an emergency hotline where AFS could be reached during the festivities if I start going crazy.

So far I haven't been hit very hard with any homesickness. This month in particular I have been more assimiliated than any other month so far and and can deal with so many things in this language and nothing is really even a problem anymore. My host sister has gotten also particularly attatched to me and when we're both home, we're never far. It's really nice. But when I got for instance, the packages from home, or when I read the last email I would get from my real parents until I come home from Christmas break on 6 January, there were small pangs that actually felt more like guilt than actual sadness. Like maybe it's my fault if Christmas is sort of gray for them at home because I'm not there, which was sort of the tone it was written in.
But this happy season of being at home with friends and family, looking back, is not always the ideal, and I've lived through a few of those already. Like the first Christmas without my mom. Or those Christmases when I was younger and relatives couldn't come over because one of the kids got really sick. It's always survivable, and there's always something good about the day that seems to make up for it.

I told my host family that I was doing okay and not feeling sad at all. They shrugged and said "Well, we'll see what you say the 24th."

And on a merrier note, merry Christmas to all you at home. I sent out a batch of Christmas cards last week, so keep your eyes out.

Lots of love, Julie

3 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

We got your text message while in the shop yesterday renting snow gear.
Well, first let me say that we are feeling very proud of the way you are engaging and enjoying this holiday season. We are fine and have just finished two days of snow shoeing. We should be back home Sunday night.

cole. hat gesagt…

Oi, AND WHERE IS MY CARD MISSUS?

Just Michelle hat gesagt…

I love love love my card.

And your voice from my phone on Christmas day. :)


AND YOU. ALWAYS.